2021 Founders’ Program
What is The Studio’s Founders’ Program?
The Studio Founders’ Program is a 7-week guided program. This program will equip you with essential entrepreneurial skills to launch and scale your business and fill knowledge gaps for existing founders. You’ll also become part of a cohort and startup community, invaluable to new entrepreneurs and startup founders like yourself. This program is delivered 100% online and includes a two-week residency at The Studio in the Sydney Startup Hub (valid for use for 6-months).
- Weekly LIVE master classes, talks and workshops each Friday with industry and subject matter experts, successful startup founders and investors
- One-on-one sessions with a business advisor and commercialisation expert
- Introductions to successful startup founders, mentors and advisors
- Connection to all aspects of the startup ecosystem
- Tech credits and other opportunities
- A guided online education program. The Studio has partnered with Startup Onramp to deliver this component
- Demo Day (Pitch Day), an internal only event, held in week 7
- Two-week residency at The Studio (valid for 6-months)
- Applications open: Monday the 23rd August 2021
- Applications close: Sunday 24th of October 2021, midnight
- Interviews with program applicants: 27th September – 15th October 2021.
- Offers of place in the program: Prior to program commencement
- Program runs: Monday 1st November – Friday 17th December 2021 (attendance required online each Friday)
How much does the program cost?
- $699.00 +GST
- An additional team member from the same startup, $399 +GST
– The full cost of the program is more than $5,000 per participant but through sponsorship, The Studio can offer this program at a subsidised price.
-The cohort size is limited, acceptance into the program is competitive and via application and interview.
-If your application is successful, full payment is required prior to the program start date to confirm your acceptance.
-The Studio 2021 Founders’ Program is supported by Dolby, Copyright Agency, Invest Hong Kong and The Australian Federal Government.
Your commitment to online in-person attendance (AEST)
Mandatory attendance, each Friday over 6 weeks (10 am – 4 pm) plus 2 x half days (day one and Friday, week 7).
Who should apply?
The Studio is industry-agnostic. We invite Australian citizens or residents to apply who are:
- – new entrepreneurs in the first 12 months of their business
- – early-stage startup founders with or without MVP (minimum viable product)
- – pre-series A founders
- – individuals with tech-business ideas that could be the basis of a scalable business
- – social impact or social enterprise startups
As long as you’re highly passionate and driven to bring your startup to life and are 18+ years, we encourage you to apply.
What are the selection criteria?
- – Minimum requirement: Should be able to attend online each Friday during the program, plus the additional half days (day one and Friday of week 7).
- – Must have a startup business or planning to launch a startup.
How many people per cohort can join?
One person per team should apply, and indicate they if they have other team members (eg, co-founder) who would also like to take part in the program. If your application is successful, additional team members are $399 +GST each.
How can I apply?
Applicants are assessed throughout the application period. Shortlisted applicants will be invited to participate in a virtual interview.
Q: Do I have to have a startup company already registered in Australia?
- No. Establishing and launching a business in Australia is a key focus of this program.
- If you are already a startup founder, you will also benefit from this program. It will fill any knowledge gaps and allow you to reassess your business through proven methodologies.
Q: Do I have to be based in Sydney/ the Greater Sydney region?
A:No. This program is now delivered 100% online. You can be located anywhere.
Q: What does the program expect from me? Does the program expect me to be able to provide an output (e.g. MVP, PoC) at the end of the 7-week program?
A:The purpose of the program is to provide you with knowledge and tools to launch your startup.
Q: Do I have to sign up for residency at The Studio upon completion of the program?
A:No, this is not a requirement of the program.
Q: Is there an opportunity to pitch to investors?
A: You will be introduced to a variety of investors through the program. Additionally, The Studio runs Global Pitch Nights, which you can participate in, if investor ready. These are held at The Studio on the last Thursday of every month (currently on-hold), hosted by Sam McCool.
Q: If one team member of our startup is successful with a funded placement in this program, can other team members join the program?
A: An additional spot for your team member can be purchased for $399 +GST (subject to availability).
Q: I thought The Studio was focused on startups in communications, media and the creative industries? If my startup is not related to any of these sectors can I still apply?
A:While The Studio was founded to support these sectors, and has a broad focus and specialisation in these areas, The Studio is industry agnostic and supports startups across all industries and sectors, including social impact startups.
Q: Why is The Studio offering this program at a low-cost?
A: The Studio is a not-for-profit organisation and registered charity with a mission to support and foster startup and scaleup activity in Australia for the benefit of all.